Bohemian decor is a kind of home design that emphasises originality, inventiveness, and an atypical kind of attractiveness. The style is defined by a deliberate juxtaposition of seemingly incongruous elements, such as colours, fabrics, and patterns. The free-spirited and self-expressive are naturals in bohemian attire.
Discover the foundations of the bohemian style with Bonito Designs and get practical advice for incorporating its warm and welcoming aesthetic into your own home from our expert contributors.
Contact us here!
What is Bohemian Interior Design?
At the heart of bohemian-style interior design lies a spirit of experimentation and a willingness to embrace the unexpected. This aesthetic draws inspiration from the bohemian culture’s celebration of individualism, creativity, and outsider perspectives on the world.
To create a bohemian-styled space, you must be willing to mix and match a variety of design elements in unexpected ways. Natural materials, vibrant colours, and unique artefacts are emphasised to create a warm and inviting atmosphere that reflects the occupant’s individuality and free-spirited nature.
Bohemian interior design draws inspiration from a variety of sources, including the hippie movement of the 1960s, Eastern culture, and the gypsy way of life. This style is defined by a striking mix of contrasting features, such as the combination of old and contemporary furnishings, and the use of vibrant and contrasting colours.
Bohemian style is known for incorporating natural materials like wood, rattan, and wicker, often in their original state to showcase their unique textures and patterns. Additionally, natural fibres such as cotton, linen, and silk are commonly used in bohemian interior design.
Bold colours play an important role in this aesthetic, with hues like fuchsia, orange, and turquoise frequently employed, as well as earthy neutrals such as beige and brown. Bold prints featuring florals and geometric shapes are also popular choices in bohemian design.
How to Create a Bohemian Interior
Designing a bohemian interior is a wonderful opportunity to showcase your personal style and creativity. By using home decor that reflects your unique tastes, you can create a space that truly feels like home. To get started, here are some helpful tips for bringing bohemian-inspired elements into your living space:
- Bohemian style is all about mixing patterns and textures. Don’t be afraid to combine bold prints with florals, and incorporate wicker, macrame, and rattan textures.
- Use natural materials: Natural materials like wood, rattan, and wicker are key elements of bohemian style. These materials add warmth and texture to your space.
- Add Colours: One hallmark of bohemian style is its fearless embrace of bold and vibrant colours. This aesthetic encourages a playful mixing and matching of hues, such as pairing fuchsia, orange, and turquoise with earthy neutrals like beige and brown. Don’t be afraid to experiment with a range of hues, as colour can be an incredibly powerful tool for adding character and charm to your home’s decor.
- Vintage Pieces Incorporating vintage pieces is an excellent way to infuse your bohemian space with character and charm. Scouring thrift stores, flea markets, and antique shops can yield unique and one-of-a-kind finds, from decorative objects to cutlery and furniture. These vintage treasures can lend a sense of history and personality to your home, and add to the eclectic and playful vibe that defines the bohemian aesthetic.
- Include Plants: Integrating plants into your decor is an effective way to breathe life and vitality into any space, and they are particularly well-suited to the bohemian style. Select plants with fascinating textures and unique shapes to complement the playful and organic nature of bohemian decor. Consider displaying them in macrame plant hangers, which can add a touch of bohemian charm and can serve as a statement piece in your living space. By incorporating these natural elements, you can create an ambiance that is both relaxing and invigorating, and celebrate the beauty of the natural world in your home.
- Don’t forget the lighting: Lighting plays a crucial role in any interior design scheme, and this is especially true for bohemian style. To imbue your space with a charming and whimsical quality, seek out lighting fixtures that are unique and eye-catching. Moroccan lanterns and beaded chandeliers are two excellent options that can bring a touch of bohemian flair to your home. These fixtures can provide not only light, but also visual interest and texture to your living space. Don’t underestimate the importance of lighting in creating a bohemian atmosphere, and invest in statement pieces that can transform the ambiance of your home.
- Use eclectic accessories: Incorporating eclectic accessories is a wonderful way to infuse your bohemian space with personality and style. Seek out distinctive items like patterned throw pillows, vintage rugs, and intriguing artwork to add a touch of individuality to your living space. These eclectic pieces can inject a sense of playfulness and creativity into your decor, creating an environment that is both stimulating and cosy. When selecting accessories for your bohemian space, keep an eye out for pieces that speak to your unique tastes and personal style.